Safely Access the Rail Corridor / Track Safety Awareness


The Safely Access the Rail Corridor course is for individuals and companies who are new to rail and aims to provide you with knowledge and understanding of basic safety principles and basic track terminology. 

Safely Access the Rail Corridor is the minimum industry standard for employees and contractors participating in work activity within the various rail corridors in Australia.

Each of the track owners who manage rail traffic movements in Australia have defined the minimum training and health standards for their own employees and for contractors who need to work in the rail corridor.

TLIF2080 - Safely Access the Rail Corridor is the accredited unit of competency associated with working in the rail corridor for all track owners. We offer training and assessment in this unit for several of the track owners.   If you successfully complete the unit you will receive a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment.

The Statement of Attainment does not entitle the holder to enter any rail corridor. Once you successfully complete training and assessment You must apply for and receive a Rail Industry Worker (RIW) Card to access any rail corridor - see further information below.



Which Safely Access the Rail Corridor training do I need?

The training you need will depend on the rail corridor that you will be working in.  You may need to complete different training for each rail corridor as each rail owner has their own requirements for training.  Remember, that an issued Rail Industry Worker Card may not be recognised in another track owner's rail corridor and you may not be able to get access to the rail corridor.  The Instruction Company delivers the following rail operator courses:

  • ARTC Corridor requires - Safely Access the Rail Corridor Training
  • Sydney Metro - TfNSW network requires - Safely Access the Rail Corridor (formerly RISI)
  • Melbourne V Line requires - Train Track Safety Awareness (TTSA)


When are courses held and where?

Please see our Training Calendar for upcoming course and locations or contact one of our team for full details on course content (02) 6924 1679 or


What is required to complete the course?

  • You must be able to read, speak and comprehend basic English. 
  • You will need to pass a simple Language, Literacy and Numeracy test prior to commencement of the training.
  • A valid USI Number is to be supplied to The Instruction Company before a Statement of Attainment can be released

This will be a one day course and you will be required to complete:

  • Theory training and assessment which is conducted in a classroom
  • Practical training exercises and assessment of competence


What do I need to bring to the course?

It is imperative that you bring with you the following information/equipment when completing the ARTC, TfNSW or VLine Courses:

  • Appropriate Footwear (no open shoes etc)
  • Long Pants (no shorts or short skirts)
  • Pen & Paper
  • Long Sleeve shirt
  • Photo Identification (Driver’s Licence)


What do I receive on course completion?

Upon successful completion of this course you will receive:

  • Statement of Attainment for TLIF2080 Safely Access the Rail Corridor for all courses 
  • Certificate of Attendance - for VLine as well as the Statement of Attainment


Obtaining a RIW Card

You will need to obtain a Rail Industry Work (RIW) Card to work in the rail industry – this is the national competency management system for rail workers.  Please note that Rail Safety Worker (RSW) cards are NOT issued on the day of training.  Please visit for more details.


What is required to obtain an RIW Card?

To apply for a RIW card you are going to need: 

  • Statement of Attainment (Issued by the RTO) for TLIF2080 Safely access the rail corridor
  • CPCCWHS1001: Work safely in the construction industry (WHS Construction White Card)
  • Complete a Category 1, 2, or 3 medical by an approved Health Provider


What are the medicals?

There are three different types of health assessments based on whether the work to be undertaken is safety critical or non-safety critical.   Above all, a risk management approach determines which category of health assessment applies to various types of work as follows:

Rail medical (Category 1)

This applies to workers who undertake safety critical work and whose ill health may result in sudden incapacity or collapse. Therefore, leading to a serious incident affecting public safety or the rail network.

Rail medical (Category 2)

This applies to workers who undertake safety critical work where sudden incapacity will not impact on the safety of the public or the rail network.

Rail medical (Category 3)

This applies to workers who undertake non-safety critical work and whose health and fitness does not impact directly on the rail network. However, they need to protect their own safety and that of other workers.

You are best to speak with your employer as to what medical you will require.  

Please refer to the Rail Industry Worker site for the listing of approved General Practitioners at


How do I obtain an RIW Card

To receive your RIW Card you must register & provide the relevant documentations.

You can register through the below RIW portal link


How long does the Safely Access the Rail Corridor qualification last for

Your Safely Access the Rail Corridor does not expire but you will be required to submit a new medical to the Rail Industry Worker site when your current medical expires.

Note:  VLine mandate refresher Safely Access the Rail Corridor training every two years.


What is the cost of the training

Please contact one of our team for full details on course cost for both individuals & companies

(02) 6924 1679 or


Learning pathways

This course provides the entry level unit of competency required for all roles across most Australian rail networks.

On successful completion of this course, learners are eligible to enrol in TLI21315 Certificate II in Rail Infrastructure – Core Units.