Rail Industry Training and Assessment
The Instruction Company delivers nationally recognised rail industry training and assessment in both rail operations and rail infrastructure.
Rail Operations Training & Assessment
The Instruction Company had an ongoing strategic role in the development and implementation of competency based training programs since 1993. The principals were part of the team who developed the National Rail competency management system and training resource library for which, in 1997, National Rail was awarded Employer of the Year in the Australian National Training Awards (ANTA). In the same year, National Rail also won the Transport Industry Training Award for its training strategies and implementation.
We have developed competency based classification structures for clients as well as supporting training and assessment resources aligned to the structure and designed to meet industry standards. The training and assessment resources include electronic templates, samples and instructions as well as:
- on-job and off-job trainee manuals
- participant and presenter materials and resources
- assessment and evaluation tools
The structures, processes and resources developed are tailored to the operational requirements of the company. To achieve this, we are involved in workplace consultation and performance monitoring and, if ongoing, the continued improvement of the competency assessment and reassessment processes. We have also produced performance management policies, strategies and tools and mentored the implementation of these processes.
See our rail operations courses.
Rail Infrastructure Training & Assessment
The Instruction Company is extensively involved in providing rail infrastructure training and assessment services. We provide training and assessment services to a range of clients both large and small in structure that include the major interstate rail network operator, ARTC. As well as infrastructure workers, we have and do train and assess signalling and train control staff.
See our rail infrastructure courses.
Our Other Activities Have Included:
- The development of training standards, training policies and assessment criteria and resources for the NSW Rail Infrastructure Corporation for the implementation of their revised Network Rules.
- The development of training and assessment resources for the Victorian Department of Infrastructure for the implementation of their revised Network Rules - we have been contracted to train all Victorian rail trainers prior to the implementation of these rules (this project is still ongoing).
- Participation in industry working groups for the implementation of the National Code of Practice and, more recently, the Australian Code of Practice (this project is still ongoing).
- Participation in industry working groups to advise on the content of the TDT Training Package competency standards for the rail industry.
- Liaison with unions to advise them on the implementation of training and assessment strategies to meet the requirements of the Australian Qualifications Training Framework (AQTF).
- The training development, training delivery and assessment of rail infrastructure workers.
- Assisting rail operators in the formulation and implementation of training and performance management policies.
Currently We Are...
- Managing all the training needs analysis, training plans and training delivery and assessment for several rail operators.
- Managing rail industry traineeships for a number of assistant locomotive driver trainees in NSW
- Delivering off and on job training and assessing competence of rail industry employees over the range of rail operational and rail infrastructure requirements.
- Developing and implementing a competency based classification structure for several companies across the areas of rail operations, rail infrastructure, road transport and warehousing.
- Checking the performance of drivers against nationally recognised standards to determine current competence and analyse training and recertification needs for rail operators.
- Continuing to develop and upgrade our own competency based learning and assessment resources.
- Developing a range of training packages for our clients including:
- locomotive driver operator manual
- locomotive maintainer maintenance manuals
- wagon maintenance training packages